Project title: Helping victims of online sexual harassment through online reporting and supporting systems
Online sexual harassment (OSH) severely impacts an individual’s psychological well-being, and it is also a violation of human rights. Much scientific literature addresses the prevalence and impact of OSH and the ICT (Information and Communications Technology) affordances that facilitate OSH. However, in practice, it remains unclear what ICT interventions are effective to help and support OSH victims. My PhD project addresses this problem by providing scientific-based design and evaluation of ICT interventions to effectively help OSH victims get the support they need.
Prototype1 – ‘We support you’ reporting system
Prototype2 – ‘Tellme’ chatbot reporting system
- ESR8 (Yuying Tan) Presented ongoing research on ICT interventions to support online sexual harassment victims A systematic review at World Anti-Bullying Forum 2021 https://worldantibullyingforum.com/previous-forums/wabf-2021/
- ESR8 (Yuying Tan) Tan, Y., Poels, K., Pabian, S., & Vandebosch, H. (2021). Using co-design to create social media interfaces that help girls cope with online sexual harassment. In Abstract Book World Anti-Bullying Forum 2021 (pp. 554–555). https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.24753.45925
- ESR8 (Yuying Tan) Presented ongoing research on Online methods to support online sexual harassment victims at Etmaal22 https://www.etmaal22.net/
- ESR8 (Yuying Tan) Presented ongoing research: Talking about sexual harassment and getting support in Reddit communities: A computational analysis at ICA Regional Conference 2022 Computational Communication Research https://hse-scila.github.io/ica-conference/
- ESR8 (Yuying Tan) presented ongoing research: Talking sexual harassment and getting support in Reddit communities at #SMSociety 2022 conference https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2022-accepted-papers/; 5mins YouTube presentation: https://youtu.be/eEB05uCi7Bg
Yuying Tan (Sherry) is a PhD candidate at the Media & ICT in Organizations and Society (MIOS) research group at the University of Antwerp. Through years of work in the internet industry, she learned the process of product design, prototyping, testing, and digital marketing. She believes that a good design should not only attract, entertain and retain users but should also benefit users’ well-being. Yuying’s research areas include ICT and human behavior, machine learning, social media, and interactive design. She obtained a master’s degree in Cognitive System and Interactive Media at Pompeu Fabra University in Spain; master thesis titled ‘Analysis of Body Pose for Autism Child in Mixed-Reality Full-Body Interaction System’. Before she shifted her career to media and communication, she held a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Design Manufacture and Automation, followed by 2 years of work in EPSON.